Exodus 4:11

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Day 4--Out the door and back again

All Good Things must come to an end

Today is day 5, but I am going to do a day 4 update and the a seperate entry for day 5.

Day 4 started really great. Cayla had a fussy night, especially during antibiotic time. But we did get some sleep. The neurosurgeon and his team came in around 8 and said we could go home as both eyes were open. That was so great. After all the day 3 trauma, I was happy to get good news. We left the hospital around noon and went to the hotel. Shan had a flight booked for 6:55 am on the 17th so we had to stay for that.

I took a nap and Shan and Gran took Cayla up to their room. After about 3 hours I went up to check in. They said Cayla had slept, but fussed the whole time (in her sleep). Then when she woke up, she wouldn't take a bottle or any solid food. She felt slightly warm, but I wasn't too concerned. Gran and I decided we better drive to the airport to refresh our memory of how to get there. So we gave Cayla tylenol and fed her a bottle then left between 6 and 6:30. We got "lost" sort of and ended up driving around in circles for a while. We knew where we were, but that silly airport wasn't in the right place. We finally found it and started back. We made two brief stops, one for ice cream which cures everything for The MOM. At the second stop I ran in to get teething gel and some other stuff and when I came out Cayla had thrown up twice. So we went back to the room and I took her temp. An hour and a half after the tylenol, she had temp of 99.8 rectally. So I called the doctor.

He said just go to the er to have her evaluated. So Shan and I took her in the stroller. When we got there, Cayla was laughing and playing like nothing was wrong. The er doctor decided to try to give her pedialite to see how she tolerated it. She promptly spit it out and started screaming. So of course they had to stick her again. Mammy Shan stayed with her while she got her iv. I went back in and found out they had had a hard time with it. Shan said she cried when they did it. Glad I wasn't there. At that point we got Cayla pretty calm and I called a couple of people to update them. I was on the phone with Gran telling her we should be back in 45 minutes, when the bottom dropped out of our world.

Cayla made a funny sound and then stopped fussing. She wasn't screaming at that point but was crying. Shan was holding her, so she lifted the baby away from her shoulder and looked at her, then listened for a second and looked again. Then she said Cayla-- in the meantime I said did she stop breathing! Shan said yes and started to lay her down. At that point she startled and started breathing again. I yelled for the nurse and they came right away. It was only 5 to 10 seconds of no breathing but those were the longest seconds of mine and Shan's lives.

They did a chest xray and ct scan and the neurosurgeon's pa came in. We knew that we would be admitted to the hospital at that point. I left John a message on the only number I had for him and then Shan called John's mom to ask her to call him at home. I left for the xray so she had to explain everything to him.

We got to PICU at about 11:30 and they gave Cayla morphine right away. She had been crying uncontrolably for a while at that point. The nurses tried to get her settled in, but it took a while. At 1:00 Shan and Gran left. Shan had managed to change her flight!! At 1:30 Cayla got more morphine. She finally settled good to sleep about 2:30. At 3:45 the nurse turned on the lights because Cayla's IV had infiltrated. They had to pull that one and start a new one. I left her in the care of the nurses. When I got back one was holding her, one was talking to her and one was doing a toe stick. She didn't even fuss when they did that one--thank God. At about 5:15 we got Cayla to sleep and she and I slept then for awhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home